You may be a carer if you look after someone who is a partner, relative or friend and you get no payment for this. You might provide help like cooking, dressing and feeding.

If you are a carer you may be able to get a carer's allowance and help, such as breaks for you and the person you look after.

Other kinds of help may be available to you and the person you look after. These include home care services and special equipment for the person you look after, information on carer organisations and support services, and benefits advice.

To find out more, please contact your local social work office.

Are you a carer?

A carer is someone who:

  • Looks after or provides help and support to someone who could not manage without their help
  • Receives no payment for doing this (Carer’s Allowance does not count as a payment)

The person they look after:

  • Could be a partner, husband or wife, child, friend or neighbour
  • Cannot manage without help because of their age, physical or mental illness, addiction or disability

The care they provide could include help with washing, cooking, dressing, feeding and much more.

Like many carers you might not see yourself as a carer, just as a parent, child, wife, husband, partner, friend or neighbour. Many carers live with the person they care for, but many others don’t.

If you think you are a carer and would like to know what help you may be able to get, please call us on:

01324 506000

What is a carer’s allowance?

The carer’s allowance is a benefit for someone who cares for a person who is ill or disabled. You do not need to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.

You must:

  • Be over 16 years
  • Spend 35 hours a week or more caring for someone

The person you care for must get certain benefits, such as Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance, at the middle or highest care rate.

If you receive certain other benefits and these are more than the amount of the Carer’s Allowance, you may still qualify but you will not get any extra money.

If you are working, you can get Carer’s Allowance only if you earn less than £100 per week after tax and deductions.

If you are in full-time education for 21 hours or more a week you can’t get a carer’s allowance.

How to claim carer’s allowance

You will need to complete a claim form from the Carer's Allowance Unit.

If you would like a form, please contact the Carer's Allowance Unit:

Carer's Allowance Unit
Palatine House
Lancaster Road
08456 084321

How we will assess your needs as a carer

You can ask us for a carer’s assessment. We will discuss your support options with you and provide you with the information you may need to help you in your caring role.

You may not have thought about how caring is affecting you. The assessment is an opportunity to think about this and decide what would be best for you and the person you care for.